Current track




Results Saturday/Sunday 24 and 25th August 2019

Written by on 24th August 2019

It’s FA Cup weekend again for some of our local teams and unfortunately it didn’t go as planned for our 3 teams involved today. Hertford Town faced an away trip to Whitton United from the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, and although they managed to take the lead with a goal from Prince Domafryie in the 58th minute they couldn’t hold on to that lead. Liam Wales levelled the scores in the 65th minute before Jacob Lay put the host’s 2-1 in front, and that was how the game ended.

In the game between Hadley and Hoddesdon Town, the hosts were the team that went through to the 1st Qualifying round with a 2-0 victory. Peter Rosemin and Paul Wright both getting on the scoresheet for the Bricks.

Welwyn Garden City made the trip away to Wingate &Finchley and came away with a 2-0 defeat. They seemed to have the advantage in the first half with both teams going in level, W&F then took the lead against the run of play in the 50th minute, and they added to that by finishing the tie off after 88 minutes to win the tie 2-0. It was an encouraging performance by the Citizens who certainly didn’t disgrace themselves and manager Nicky Ironton was pleased with the performance the lad’s put in despite the result.

Over in the Spartan South Midlands Division 1 Wodson Park got their first points of the season in an entertaining game at home against London Lions coming away 3-2 victors. An encouraging performance from The Woods saw coach Apple delighted with the victory. Ben De Lacy-Turner, Josh Lancaster and Michael Gage with the goals.

In the Herts Senior League Hoddesdon Reserves had a dominating performance against Ware Sports coming out 7-1 winners

Over to the Friendly match that St Margaretsbury arranged late in the week and they played Albanian FC at Enfield College. Like all games today was played in sweltering conditions and First Team Head Coach Darren Gosnell took charge of the game which ended 0-0

On Sunday morning I went along to Watch Hartham United play Thundridge City over on the 3g pitch at Wodson Park. Hartham took the lead after just 2 minutes through Kieron Wieldon, unfortunately they were 3-1 down by the break, and Thundridge managed to take a 4-1 lead. Hartham clawed their way back into the game through Nicholas Davis and Luke Webster but unfortunately couldn’t find the leveller. It was sweltering over there even though it was an early 10:15am kick-off and the players deerve all the credit for playing in such conditions. Considering Thundridge are a Premier division side it was a very encouraging performance for them, and that was their final pre-season game before the league campaign kicks off.

Back to the FA Cup and Ware paid a visit to FC Romania at Theobalds Lane (Home of Cheshunt FC) in what was a very entertaining game. FC Romania took the lead as early as the 16th minute, and the score stayed that way going into the break. The game then sprang into action from the 57th minute with Ware levelling the scores. Straight from the kick-off FC Romania re-took the lead to make it 2-1 to the home side.

13 minutes from the end Ware managed to level the scores once again, bringing the game back to 2 a piece. FC Romania then though they had done enough to win the tie when they managed to put themselves 3-2 up but The Blues had other ideas, they surged forward straight from the re-take and managed to bring the scores back level making it 3-3. The teams go again in the league on Tuesday evening, before the FA Cup replay takes place on Tuesday 3rd September


FA Cup

Whitton United 2 Hertford Town 1

Hadley 2 Hoddesdon Town 0

Wingate & Finchley 2 Welwyn Garden City 0

Spartan South Midlands Division 1

Wodson Park 3 London Lions 2

Herts Senior County League

Ware Sports 1 Hoddesdon Reserves 7


Albanian FC 0 St Margaretsbury 0

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply