Current track




Weeks Results 26-27th August

Written by on 26th August 2019

Being a Bank Holiday Weekend a couple of our local teams had fixtures on Monday.

Hertford Town hosted Barking in the Bet Victor Isthmian South Central League in the sweltering heat at The Acre Cars Stadium, and managed to come out 2-1 winners, which must have pleased manager Ben Herd after his disappointment from their FA Cup game last Saturday. This being a tie between 2 sides who had both lost their first 2 games gave The Blues a good opportunity to get their first points on the board. The scores were level at half time, and Barking managed to take the lead after 55 minutes through Theo Fairweather-Johnson.

Prince Domafriyie put a cross in after 69 minutes for Isaac Pedro to head into the net. Prince once again proving what manager Ben Herd was saying about his pace. Then after 80 minutes a long clearance fell to Elliot Bailey, who flicked the ball onto that man Domafriyie who’s first attempt was saved and he reacted quickly to slot the rebound into the net and make it 2-1 to the hosts. They could have furthered their lead in injury time after Tshikala cut the ball back into the box with Elliot Bailey just centimetres away from putting the ball into the net. The game finished 2-1 to the home team and I’m sure that Ben was happy with the way with the team responded after Saturday’s result.

In the Southern League Division 1 central Welwyn Garden City faced Berkhampsted in another home tie, and this time both teams had a 100% record in the league. Welwyn had the best chance of the first half towards the end of the period, but it was headed just wide. The game was goalless at the break and I’m sure the players were welcome of a breather considering the temperature! Berkhampsted took the lead in the 66th minute through Toomey. Welwyn drew the scores level in added time with Carl Mensah making it 1 a piece. Manager Nicky Ironton said on Twitter ” It was a good game today, we snatched a draw at the end. Pleased with the players to keep going on a ridiculously hot day, but still unbeaten “

On Tuesday evening Ware once again faced FC Romania, this time back in the Bet Victor Isthmian South Central. The action didn’t take long to start, FC Romania with an early red card, Felix Lupu got his marching orders for aiming a head-butt on Tom Bruno, which was right in front of the Referee.

Fast forward to the 21st minute, and Ware took the lead through Tom Bruno, a shot from about 25 yards, rocketed in about 1 foot off the ground into the bottom left hand corner with his first goal for the club.

Ware went in at half time 1-0 up, which was what they deserved, the second half started with Romania creating more chances and should have levelled the scores when Sergui Maximov was through on a 1 on 1 with Callum Kitscha, only for the Ware stopper to deny him. Just a few minutes later Gabriel Ghinea levelled the score-line after the ball was cut back to him and he hit it first time from 30 yards for it to loop over the ‘keeper. Ware managed to hit the post twice in the final few minutes, firstly through Patrick Adamson who saw his shot bounce off the post into the FC Romania’s ‘keepers arms, and then with what proved to be the final kick of the game Olu Akinsanya also struck against the upright.

Paul Halsey spoke to us after the game and was bitterly disappointed with the final result, he felt the opportunity was there to take the game after the early red card, he said that they failed to take advantage, put pressure on them and use the extra man. Paul said that that the only time that the side did look like doing that was in the final 10 minutes of the game, and it was certainly not a good enough performance and not what he expects from his side. He felt that the opposition looked the sharper side throughout the game, and admitted he himself may have got a couple of things wrong, but that’s something that will be addressed.

The Ware boss did admit that playing in the scorching heat just a couple of day’s previous didn’t help things and may have had a “knock-on effect” but still wasn’t trying to make excuses. You can hear more of the interview with Paul Halsey this Sunday from 9pm on 90 minutes

We thank Paul for his time, and Ware for their hospitality and look forward to a positive result next Tuesday (3/9/19) for the FA Cup replay again against FC Romania, and of course wish them all the best for the tie.


Monday 26/8/19


Hertford Town 2 Barking 1


Welwyn Garden City 1 Berkhampsted 1

Tuesday 27/8/19


Ware 1 FC Romania 1

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply